Inside: Mel Science kits have excellent value as an educational monthly science kit subscription service. I highly recommend this product to anyone who loves to experiment with their kids. Home school families will greatly benefit from the these prepackaged chemistry labs in a box that come with all chemicals and materials needed to perform 2 or 3 experiments. This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Brief Timeline of the Mel Science Brand
Mel Science kits as a company began in 2015. It was the brainchild of a team of people, some hooked on chemistry and others physics, mathematics and programming.
After having their own kids, they decided to develop a program that could provide more hands-on science than could be found in the standard classroom.
In 2016, Mel Science began sales of their chemistry kits in the US and UK. By 2017, they began selling to charter schools and in 2018, Mel Science could be found in over 35 countries.
What Are Mel Science Kits Good For?
Mel Science kits are fantastic for:
- homeschool families wanting access to chemistry experiments in an all-in-one kit;
- allowing kids to further explore their passion for science beyond what they learn in the classroom;
- kids from 9-14 who have a keen interest in science;
- giving kids a headstart in some amazing chemistry topics
The Good Stuff
This program boasts strong benefits. Pay one monthly rate and each month get 2 or 3 chemistry experiments delivered to your door. At the present time, Mel Science offers 27 amazing chemistry sets so you’re good to go for over 2 years. If you find the program is not working for you you can cancel at any time. If you are going on vacation or taking a break from your homeschool program, you can pause your subscription and activate it again. Your membership will remain current with the experiments you have received and the next one in line will be mailed out when you are ready. If you are buying from Canada and would prefer your kit with French instructions, that option is available.
The free starter kit (a $50 value) contains equipment you will need for the duration of your membership. It comes well packaged to store the equipment when not in use. (disclosure, Mel Science sent me a complimentary copy of the starter kit but all views are my own!)
Goggles are a good size for both adults and kids. But if you wear glasses, they will be awkward. The cell phone stand is great for taking pictures, especially with the macro cell phone lens that comes with the kit. You have a heating apparatus and glass beakers for heating. Funnels, stoppers with holes and without and even disposable plastic cups to collect waste chemicals have been included. The box is super sturdy and the foam insert keeps all materials snug for use.
If you belong to a charter school, you can contact Mel Science to arrange special pricing!
The Not So Good Stuff
There are some downsides to Mel Science. There is no option to buy individual kits. So, if you looked at the list of kits, you would not be able to pick and choose the kits you want. Right now they are strictly a subscription service. That might make it pricey for families on a tight budget. If you wanted to repeat the experiments as for example a science fair project and modify the variables, you are unable to purchase replacement chemicals for the kits.
Middle school science is the targeted age range so if your kids are much older than 14, you are unlikely to find these kits stimulating enough. If your kids are under 10, expect to be providing a lot of support for their safety and to complete the experiments. That being said, primary aged kids will be thrilled by all the experiements offered and they will love participating as much as you feel is appropriate.
- Effectiveness as a Learning Tool 90% 90%
- Price 80% 80%
- Ease of Use 90% 90%
- Support 95% 95%
- Middle Educational Value 98% 98%
- Homeschool value for Ages 5-14 96% 96%
- Homeschool Value for Ages 15+ 55% 55%
- Decent monthly price considering all chemicals and materials are included.
- At the moment, the starter kit is free.
- Learn at your own pace.
- Instructions are easy to follow.
- Lots of supplementary material on-line and through a smartphone app (both iOS and Android).
- In Canada, both French and English kit are available.
- School subscription service is available upon request.
- Can only subscribe to a monthly service at the time being (cannot buy specific kits).
- Cannot reorder chemicals or supplies if you wish to further repeat the same experiment but vary the conditions.
- More adult assistance would be necessary for kids under 11 as some components are more difficult to work with.
- Not likely stimulating enough for most high school level chemistry.
- Monthly or Yearly subscription rates only; no pay per use available.
Mel Science Kits have excellent value as a source of educational chemistry experiments. It has an amazing array of engaging, carefully crafted experiments containing everything you need to perform each experiment 2 or 3 times. It is very easy to follow the included instructions and as a monthly subscription model, it provide very good value for your money. 27 kits are presently in their lineup with more to be added in the future.
I highly recommend this product to any homeschool family or classroom middle school teacher able to supplement their program with outside kits.
For those of you who always wanted to blow stuff up! Do it safely with Mel Science Kits
Check out my experience with one of the Mel Science experiments in the Tin kit provided with my starter kit. I had a great experience making a Tin Hedgehog!