Weather certainly has been on my mind these past few weeks. It has reached frigid temperatures again the past few days. A frost bite warning was in effect for most of this day with students being kept in for recess until late this afternoon. Weather always seems to be on people’s minds. It is often the first topic of conversation or when meeting someone new it is a safe, banal topic of chatter to fill the silence. Perhaps, as Ambrose Bierce implies in this quote we worry and talk about the weather so much because in our ancient and not so ancient past weather held so much more importance – in fact our survival often hinged on the ebb and flow of weather patterns.
Join Me on Science Alcove
Take This Survey and Help Me Design Better Content and Resources for You!
Cabinet of Top Curiosities
- 10 Excellent Reasons To Plant Trees (2,977)
- How Well Can You Identify Our Valuable Trees? (1,243)
- How to Look at Compression of Wet Beach Sand:Easy Experiment (1,089)
- Great Courses Plus Review: An Amazing On-Line… (1,066)
- 5 Awesome Reasons Explaining the Importance of Arboretums (926)
- How Does Water Pollution Effect Marine Life? (865)
- What Creatures Make Up the Shells of Lake Huron? (813)
- 10 Weird, Absolutely Awesome Animals Who Share our World (734)
- The Science of Christmas: What in the World do You Know? (695)
- 21 Easy but Absolutely Awesome Christmas Science Experiments (682)
Amazon Associates and Great Courses Plus Disclosure
Science Alcove is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the Great Courses Plus, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and thegreatcoursesplus.com.